1965 Trumpy Motoryacht Restoration Completed
One of the few “Trumpy” all-wood motor yachts on the on the West Coast has just finished a total restoration.
Originally known as the “Admiral Blake”, and now named the “Dawn Patrol”, the 65 ft flush deck motor yacht was built by John Trumpy and Sons and launched from their Annapolis, MD boat yard in 1965. It is one of 448 motor yachts built by JT&S ranging in size from 36’ to 148’ over an approximate 65 year period, beginning in 1910 and ending in 1973.
During this time period, “Trumpys” were regarded as the epitome of large pleasure boat design and quality construction. Notably, the “Sequoia”, a 104’ ft motor yacht built in 1925, served as the Presidential yacht during the Roosevelt thru Kennedy administrations.
The boat spent the first 25 years of its life along the East Coast of the US and in Florida. In 1991, it sailed through the Panama Canal on its own bottom and then to the Northwest US and Canada. It was purchased in May of 2015 by Jeffrey and Ernie Sturm of Portland, Oregon after having been moored for over 10 years in Port Ludlow, WA. That summer, they moved it to Canoe Cove near Sidney, BC and shortly thereafter, Raven Marine Services, along with Jesperson Wooden Boat Builders, began the extensive restoration which included major repairs to the hull, keel, and stuffing boxes, along with overhauling both engines, installing a new, state of the art, cathode protection system, and “Dry Bilge” system. The interior was refit with new carpet, cushions, and isinglass and, as the attached photos show, the vessel was returned to its original grace and elegance.
The Sturm’s plan to cruise the “Dawn Patrol” throughout the San Juan and Gulf Islands and hopefully make it as far north as Desolation Sound and the Broughton Islands. For more information, contact Ernie Sturm at firstname.lastname@example.org or 503-780-4131.